Wednesday 6 June 2007

Why I do what I do Part 2

As promised here is the response from Recruit T. I thought it important that everyone realise that some of the most inspiring people I know are just 'ordinary' people. They are why I do what I do so well, because I get them to their goals and because they continue to inspire me to the best there is.

*Recruit T has given permission to reporduce this content*

Hi Gary aka Sarge

I cant thank you enough for your inspiring words and more importantly your support in the past. I have thoroughly enjoyed the program so far and am determined to lose the weight and become fitter and am prepared to see this through in order to return to my former self once again, both physically and mentally.

I have thought long and hard about what I would like to achieve in this boot camp program so that I can get your assistance and have come to the following:

1. I want to lose 20kg - 25kg - within 4 to 6 months

2. I want to become fit and healthy - I recently went away with my partner and I struggled to climb up a mountain to a scenic route and was so ashamed of myself as he held my hand and helped me up the mountain.

3. As a child I was never very athletic and was often coming last in runs (no surprise there :) hahaha) so to overcome that I would not participate in the sports days and programs because I felt embarrassed and defeated before I even began. I remember I was in a race in grade four and stopped in the middle of the race after realising I wasn’t going to win because I was so embarassed of how far behind I was. How pathetic!!!! Anyway since then I have always had this fear of failing and wont try in fear that I will "lose the race" so to speak. Realising that I was predisposed to weight gain I then used other forms to keep my weight off such as daily laxatives and extreme dieting. After twelve years of this life style I stopped because it was having an adverse impact on my health as you can imagine. Now I am facing one of my greatest challenges that I would like to work with you on and that is I want to overcome my fear of failure, which surprisingly has not manifest itself in my professional career just my personal life. I would like your assistance in overcoming my life long fear and inhibition that prevents me from trying to become fitter and faster and keep the weight off naturally. I also need to stop worrying about what others think and focus on myself and realise I am doing this for me and we all need to start somewhere ... Deep huh?

4. My mum weighs 120 kg and is battling cancer which is obviously not helped by the fact that she is obese and I don’t want that future for myself so I want to learn to incorporate the learning's from this program into my life for years to come.

Anyway - that is my ambition and I wonder if you might be able to assist me with at least the first 2 :)

Thank you again Sarge - you are a kind and good hearted man and I can see the happiness in your eyes when you see recruits trying and enjoying themselves and trust me that makes the world of difference when you are on the receiving end of that

With kindest regards
T

No comments: