Friday 31 October 2008

a superb meteor every atom in magnificent glow

a superb meteor every atom in magnificent glow

So I had this discussion today with a student (from my small but awesome band of Self Defense Students) about this weekends upcoming indoor rock climbing outing. The topic came up about how lately she was on bit of a mission to do more activities to take herself out of her comfort zone.

It was great to hear! Regularly pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is something I've been a strong believer in for my entire adult life (and I'm not just talking about exercise here). Doing so helps you gain a strong sense of empowerment that will positively affect all other aspects of your life.

It doesn't matter if you are outperformed by others. It doesn't even matter that you don't complete it. What does matter, is that you fully commit yourself at the time of trying and you keep trying until you are satisfied with the outcome.

"Try Again, Fail Better" - Sam Beckett

The simple fact that you are constantly working, completing and finding new mini-challenges will fill you with a sense of pride, achievemnt and renewed purpose. You will continue to progress in unstoppable forward motion in life rather than lying stagnant and constantly wishing for something better to happen to you.

The thing about always staying within your comfort zones is that the rest of the world still builds around you. Your comfort zone gets slowly deeper, turnng into a ditch, then eventually a valley, then a seemingly sheer cliff face surrounded by a raging sea.

Fear is a tool, it can be used to spur you on or it can break the reins and hold you back. Personally "I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather that my spark would burn out in a brilliant blaze than be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live! Not to exist. I shall not waste my days to try prolong them. I shall use my time."

Final thought above is one of my all time favourite quotes, what it means to me put simply, I would rather go out & grab life by the proverbials than sit back and watch it pass me by. I would rather do my best to be the best than not try at all for fear of public failure.

I need to thrive not just survive, at the end of the day, yes I could take care of myself, exercise and live life as an adventure & have an untimely demise but I would much rather that than slowly decomposing at the pub, on the couch or on the sidelines. What hell of a ride!

No comments: